The Rupert & Rothschild partnership was formed in 1997 by the late Dr Anton Rupert of South Africa and the late Baron Edmond de Rothschild of France. Their vision and guiding principles were carried forward by their sons, the late Anthonij Rupert and Baron Benjamin de Rothschild. Today the Rupert family and Baron Benjamin de Rothschild share this prestigious partnership in wine production.
At the foot of the spectacular Simonsberg mountain in the Franschhoek Valley lies the historic French Huguenot farm Fredericksburg, established in 1690 and now home to Rupert & Rothschild Vignerons. It was in this valley over 300 years ago that the early French Huguenots first discovered a terroir similar to that of certain winegrowing regions in France. Hence their decision to settle and cultivate vineyards here.